SHEA is pleased to announce the availability of funds to support research in the field of healthcare epidemiology in 2019. The SHEA Epi Project Competition is seeking bright and dedicated young investigators in the field of healthcare epidemiology research. Funding for project grants is provided by the SHEA Research and Education Foundation. The grant competition is organized by the SHEA Research Committee.
The SHEA Research Committee is seeking bright and dedicated early investigators in the field of healthcare epidemiology research. The Epi Project Competition will award up to $20,000 in grants for winning proposals to conduct studies that can shape our understanding of transmission of healthcare-associated infections and identify the best prevention methods and implementation science.
Who is eligible to compete?
- Early investigators with advanced healthcare degrees (MPH, PhD, PharmD, MD or similar degrees)
- Within 5 years of completion of training
- Must be registered for the SHEA Spring 2019 Conference
How do I submit a proposal? Eligible proposals must include the following information:
- Project name
- Specific aims and hypothesis or hypotheses
- Background and significance of the project
- Description of research design, methods, analytic plan, and preliminary results (if any) not to exceed 750 words.
- Brief description of the environment (including mentors) where work will be done
- If using the SHEA Research Network, a brief description of how it will be used
- A budget estimating the costs to carry out the project. The budget must not exceed $20,000.
- Brief description of the investigator’s qualifications to accomplish the work
- Attestation of independence by mentor/faculty advisor
How are winners selected?
- Reviewers will evaluate and score all proposals received by the deadline. Reviewers may select up to five finalists to advance to the live competition at SHEA Spring 2019.
- Finalists selected to advance to the SHEA Spring 2019 competition will receive a $1,500 stipend to assist with conference registration and travel expenses.
- Finalists must deliver a 3-5 minute oral presentation of their proposal at SHEA Spring 2019 which will be scored by an anonymous panel of judges.
- Winner(s) will be selected and announced based on the combined proposal submissions and oral presentation scores.
- Judges have the option of awarding multiple grants to multiple winners of the competition if more than one novel proposal meets or exceeds the expectations of the competition, and the combined budgets fall within the $20,000 award limit.
- Although use of the SHEA Research Network is strongly encouraged, eligible proposals are not required to use the SRN for their studies.
SHEA strives to advance the field of healthcare epidemiology and antibiotic stewardship through research and education. Our mission in part is to mentor, train, and promote professional development in healthcare epidemiology. Additional information regarding criteria for proposals, eligible competitors, and proposal milestones and due dates will be available at: http://www.shea-online.org/Foundation/SHEAEpiProjectAward.aspx
Questions regarding administration of the Epi Project Competition should be directed to Lynne Batshon.
Past Epi Project Competition Winners
Information about past winners can be found in the SRN Studies and Information Resources Section of the Website.